by : Fajar Sastrowijoyo
This technique can be applied to add Tumblr button or anything-button easily WITHOUT using any 3rd party softwares. And this technique makes the buttons appear in all of your posts. So you only need to do this once in a lifetime. The buttons will stick in all your posts forever. Neat, huh? ^^
These days everybody knows how to easily add Facebook Share OR Like button in each of your wordpress posts. It’s just using the built in Sharing service in WordPress. Sadly this feature can only display either Share OR Like, and not both. So people wonders how to add both of these 2 buttons there. And actually its very simple. Just follow these steps down here
The steps are:
1. Firstly, enter your dashboard. see the wordpress sidebar on your left. If you scroll down, you will see the Settings tab. Expand it and you’ll see the Sharing there. Click on it.
2. You will enter the Sharing window. If you scroll down, you will see this:
3. On the Available Services, you can see the Facebook icon, and if you drag it to the Enabled Services (that “Drag and drop available services here) area, and you expand that facebook icon, you can see 3 options, Default Buttons, Share Button, and Like Button. As you can see here, you can select either share or like but not both. For now let’s change it to Like button. This is how you display your like button.
4. Now for the Share button, you will need an additional Engineering. First you have to see the “Available Services“. See the Figure 2 above for more details. Under it you can see “Add a new service“. Click it. You will see this page
5. Put the service name as you like it. I put it “Facebook” there but “Share on Facebook”(the one I really use) and everything can be used. This name will be displayed later in your blog posts.
6. Now put this one to the Sharing URL:
7. For the Icon URL, you can put the Facebook Icon there. You can get from anywhere in the Internet. If you want you can put the button in your WordPress Media Library. If you want to use mine, you can have it :
8. Click Create Share
9. After that you can see that one more available services is added to the “Available Services“. Its the “Facebook” or “Share on Facebook” depends on how you put the service name. The name is Share on Facebook on mine on the picture below. Drag it to the Enabled Services just like how you did the Facebook Like
10. Abracadabra! Your Facebook Share is created! Now you have BOTH Like AND Share button on every of your posts!
The process to make the Facebook Share can be repeated to make any share button everywhere. You just need to know the URL to share for each social networking site. For Facebook its http://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php? and for Tumblr its http://www.tumblr.com/share/link? Just change that and you can put a share button from every social networking site!
For example, I made a tumblr share button and to make it I just need to repeat steps 4 to 10 but change the Service Name to Share on Tumblr, change the Icon URL to Tumblr icon which can be easily obtained in Tumblr’s website, and change the Sharing URL to:
You can see the example on this blog post. At the end of the post you will see the Facebook Like and Share button, Share on Tumblr and Twitter button. Oh and if you like this post, you can click the like, you know, just to test if it really works ^^
ENJOY! You’re Welcome! ^^
Fajar Sastrowijoyo is an Indonesian Engineering Student in Korea. When he’s not busy doing power electronics, he blogs and does other engineering, like wordpress or facebook engineering ^^